GreeneStreets. Feature photo of a back country road in Greene County, Indiana. Courtesy of Nick Schneider.

I-69 traveler to be charged with carrying a loaded gun without a license

Gabriel Welder

Gabriel Welder

A man from Newburgh, Ind., traveling through Greene County on I-69 this spring, is due back in Greene County this month to appear in court. He’s accused of carrying a loaded handgun, without a license.

Gabriel Austin Welder, 19, from Newburgh, was a passenger in a gray 2007 Chevrolet Cruze that was stopped for speeding on I-69 by Indiana State Police Master Trooper John Yung.

Trooper Yung said the Cruze was traveling 93 mph in a 70 mph zone.

As the officer was approaching the Cruze with lights and siren on, a gray Toyota Camry passed the speeding Cruze and Trooper Yung ended up with two vehicles stopped on the side of the interstate.

He reported the driver of the Toyota admitted to speeding, was given a citation and released.

But the driver of the Cruze did not have a valid license and the trooper said he could smell the odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.

Welder was one of two passengers asked to exit the vehicle along with the driver.

In the course of this stop, Yung reported finding a variety of alcoholic beverage bottles or cans, some empty, some unopened, but inside Welder’s backpack, Yung found a plastic bag that contained plant material that appeared to be marijuana, a black digital scale and a handgun inside a holster. The Charter Arms Undercover 38 caliber 5-shot revolver was loaded with five live rounds.

A records check revealed Welder did not have a license to carry a handgun.

Trooper Yung issued summonses to Welder to appear in court for carrying a handgun without a license, a Class A misdemeanor, and possession of marijuana, a Class B misdemeanor. Welder signed the summonses promising to appear and was released.

He was scheduled to be in Greene Superior Court on April 24, but he was a no-show so a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He was booked in to the Greene County Jail on June 27. His bond was set at $5,000 surety with ten percent cash allowed. He posted $500 cash and was released the same day.

Another court date was scheduled for July 9 but Welder called in and asked the court for a continuance. The court granted his request and set yet another date for his initial hearing.

Now he’s due to appear in court next Monday, July 30.